Tuesday, July 23, 2013

CAPTAIN RYAN’S DIARIES OF A MILITARY HOUSEMALE


After two adventures abroad exploring an abundance of new territories, restaurants, and health care systems, Captain Ryan will go quietly into that good night and try his hand at domesticity. During my time in Norfolk, I will fulfill the duties entrusted to any obedient house elf (cleaning, cooking, groveling, etc.) while trying to prepare for my final semester at Hogwarts. It’s my hope that this experience will also provide the motivation I need after graduation to endear myself to potential employers with my self-discipline and superior groveling. As I’m sure the following little-known facts about the military housemale lifestyle will show, the life of a glorified Alfred can be challenging and exciting, particularly if your normal responsibilities are limited to bi-weekly self-grooming.


“I swore to your muvva and favva that I would protect you from the dangers of stovetop cooking, Miss Baggett.”

You invent chores for yourself

In the future, I will detail what a normal day in the life of a military housemale is like, but for the time being, let’s just say that I wake up early enough to watch the ever-present Canadian geese sleeping before a busy day of indiscriminate pooping. The geese that is. I am very discriminating about such behavior. The point is, since I don’t have a “job” per-se, my daily activities are largely based around completing chores, studying and self-improvement, and whimsical housemale endeavors (read: videogames). As such, after a long day of Navying, Rachel will often ask what I’ve been up to that day. On a productive day when a lot of chores need to be done, I can respond confidently with a list of accomplishments and expect an appreciative pat on the head or sometimes even a milkbone. On days when I have little to do around the apartment (and the number of daily chores in a small apartment is surprisingly finite), conversations may go something like this:

Rachel: “So what did you do today?”
Tyler: “I…recalibrated the TV. And dusted the pillows.”
Rachel: “Oh cool! What’s the TV do differently now?”
Tyler: “…It starts with the PS3 showing instead of the TV shows.”
Rachel: “So you played videogames all day?
Tyler: “Yes…”

And then I’ll get sent to my room with no dinner. But the joke’s on her because then she has to cook it herself. The moral of the story is to make sure your military significant other is technologically illiterate so you can spout off an endless stream of “upgrades” to your home entertainment system as your daily chores.

 
Jackpot.

You learn the minute differences between local stores

The greater Virginia Beach area is unique in that it has literally an infinite number of Food Lions and no two are the same. For instance, the apartment I’m Alfreding for has two doors: a porch door and a front door. Stepping onto the porch provides a beautiful vista overlooking the neighborhood Food Lion. Except for the apartment of those softheaded stooges in 205, walking out the front door would provide another magnificent perspective of a completely different neighborhood Food Lion. They are separated by less than a mile. They are also as similar as pecan pies and cow pies.

 
Although sometimes I wonder…

The preferred Food Lion is inaccessible walking, but boasts employees with vocabularies exceeding 5 grunts, produce without claw marks, and shopping carts from this century. The other Food Lion does not boast any of these things. In fact, the only thing it boasts about is its diverse selection of turkey boasters on Aisle 3. But I can walk there, so there’s that. The geese even greet me as I walk by with a chorus of honks and a fresh batch of goose pies.

Social activities are a luxury

Being new to the area and not a member of any socially acceptable institutions (Rachel dies a little inside when I talk about my Solitaire club), my social life is entirely dependent on my military significant other’s activities. Like a puppy/house elf hybrid, I eagerly await adventures outside with my master. Sometimes I get introduced to new people and sometimes I get to see old friends again, but I never stop eagerly licking strangers’ faces. As a military housemale, during the day I may be left alone in my crate at home, especially if I didn’t complete the compulsory number of chores the prior day.

 
“Better stick this back in the fork slot before Rachel notices.”


As far as I know, normal people tend to be occupied during crate hours, so in the evenings and on the weekends, I relish my opportunities to interact with other military folks. Hopefully this will change since I’ve recently joined a rowing club. Although half of the members are collecting Social Security at this point, there are a number of college-aged students who may also be free during the day and willing to take a housemale for a walk or squirrel chasing. So for you potential military house-creatures out there, remember, the Alfred lifestyles has a variety of perks, but you will need to find ways to be productive, self-entertaining creatures of society during the day. Just remember to turn off the electricity before returning utensils to their respective slots.




No comments:

Post a Comment