Friday, January 7, 2011


This first post is going to be relatively dull compared to the future ones (I hope), in part because I’m new to this newfangled blogosphere and also due to how mundane air travel can be. Surprisingly, I got through baggage check-in, security, and got to my gate in 45 minutes, which I believe is a new speed record for Atlanta’s airport. But Murphy and his canon wouldn’t let me go entirely unmolested, and I found out the baggage check-in lady had referred me to the wrong gate. So I packed up, bid a fond farewell to the seat I had grown to love in those 15 minutes and moved to the correct terminal.

But before I proceed (as in all honesty, I’m writing this part at the gate and have little to say at this point), I must give a shout out to the Tiger Band for providing me with my only piece of stowaway luggage. That new duffle was the perfect size for this trip, if not a little too big. I’ve always prided myself in my packing ability, and I continue to stroke my ego currently for getting 4 months worth of things into a duffle bag and a book bag.

FLASH FORWARD

It’s currently 5:31 AM in Brussels, 11:31 PM in South Carolina. I’m rather jet lagged, but that’s to be expected. I met a Belgian man on the plane named Guillame who actually lived near our apartment at some point in his life. He spoke almost no English, and I almost no French, but he did offer to drop me off at my apartment from the airport. Now, I’m not normally one to turn down generous offers from complete and entirely foreign strangers, but I was scheduled to meet my roommate Tom at the airport.  To this point, I’m surprised by how easy everything has been. Some people in my group have had terrible luck with trains and the metro, but I weathered that storm unscathed. The group is still largely unfamiliar with itself, but I’m learning names here faster than I have with any other people. My roommates are awesome and well traveled. Because I’m still tired, I’ll stop the recount here and hopefully will have some pictures up when I get a chance to stumble around Brussels in the daylight.

Notes So Far:
1.     English = Good, French = Butchered, Dutch = Merde!
2.     Beer is good. And stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4
3.     I have yet to shower and smell like rancid homeless man. Don’t worry, it’s first on my to-do list come morning.
4.     Don’t let me forget to do some massive travel superlatives for this entire semester. For those of you unfamiliar with my superlatives, consult my Notes for the Canadian trip ones. Sorry about the photo links in advance.
5.     I did not have a beer immediately upon landing. I know, I'm rather disappointed in myself too but it would have A. Knocked me out, B. Cost 5 Euros, and C. Made me look like an alcoholic to the natives because I landed at 8:00 AM. I'm okay with C though.
6.     Never take me seriously

3 comments:

  1. I'll bet you've always prided yourself in your packing ability... heyyy. Rofl rofl belgian waffle. Hope you have a great time. I don't miss you.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, son. Hope today goes as well as yesterday for you.

    ReplyDelete