Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yeah, I'll have the Luxembourger with Fries. I mean Frites.


            Instead of Paris, our group decided on going to Luxembourg for the weekend. Paris was looking to be a little too daunting given some peoples’ exams on Monday, which is fine with me because Paris smells funny. And it was adopted. We went to the train station where several events transpired. The two most important of these events were 1. Kati bought “Frisk,” a type of mint, and 2. We rode on the Hogwarts Express. So for the rest of the trip, whenever we had bad breath, we could count on Kati to Frisk us. What a great friend. And as for the Hogwarts Express, I’m sure anyone who has traveled on a train in Europe can attest to how beautiful it is to watch snow fall on the countryside of a foreign country, cows and horses huddling close as they graze on the last tufts of grass, as you look longingly through the glass while crammed in a seat next to a sweaty Luxembourger who has an unusual concept of “personal space.” Ruined that image for you, didn’t I?
            Luxembourg turned out to be an excellent choice. Coming from Brussels, where mountains are myths told to children before bed, Luxembourg’s hills were quite refreshing. Especially the hill behind our hostel. That thing is easily the number one cause of premature death in the city. And to get just about anywhere, you have to traverse it. To travel safely, I recommend at least one set of crampons and a team of Sherpas. But the rest of the city of Luxembourg (located in the region of Luxembourg the country called Luxembourg) was very nice, and even bustling at times in the main shopping square. Luxembourg is best known for its banking, but one should not overlook its chocolate, beers, and playgrounds.
            Those of you who saw my facebook photos know this, but playgrounds in Europe are a carefully designed way to weed out the weaker and dumber children in society. Playground architects think safety features show a lack of creativity and that a deficiency in precariously high rope bridges indicates your failure in the field. What I’m trying to say is that six college students spent an hour on the playground, genuinely enjoying themselves and they will never have that much fun on an American playground because it’s too safe. I’m going to end the main recount here because this playground has me so worked up that anything else will just sound disappointing.

Notes:
1.     Big thanks to Dana and her parents for purchasing the group a meal from a restaurant that we had no business looking at, never mind eating in.
2.     I am pleased to inform you all that even though I did enter a McDonald’s, it was only to use the restroom. I will never give them money while I’m here, but I will pee in them in an emergency.
3.     Belgium also has mobile home parks in the south, just like the USA. Knowledge on the dental care of the residents and the likelihood of being destroyed by rogue tornadoes is unknown.
4.     I love talking to people in Spanish.
5.     Buy one, get one free is always a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment